Monday, January 24, 2011

Boyce Thompson Arboretum

I've been slacking on my blog... We've been doing lots of fun things and the kids amaze me everyday. It just seems so hard to put everything in to a few words. Especially since I don't write about things as they happen. Anyways... I will try and do better next time.

On Saturday morning the girls and I went to the library and hit up family story time while Dave was at the Barrett Jackson Auction. Kayleigh has been really interested in non-fiction lately and had to have a book on Australia. She looked through it 3 times when we got home. As luck would have it a nearby Arboretum had "Australia Days" on Saturday and Sunday. So we loaded up Sunday morning and headed up to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum near Superior, AZ in the Tonto National Forest.

This place was awesome! We learned about didgeridoos, eucalyptus trees, succulents, and cacti from all over the world. We saw a dam, sculptures, and amazing views. There were also plenty of things to keep the kids interested year-round; a maze, a cool rain stick, other intruments, and a human sundial.
The special thing we got in on (we could have made our own didge, but it was $50!) was a reading of "Wombat Stew." The kids loved it! After the story all the kids were given worms, flies, or dirt to add to a real stew that they were able to eat. The smiles on girls' faces filled me with joy.

I'm so happy that my kids enjoyed hiking, learning, and exploring. And I must say that I'm pretty darn proud of Kayleigh, but I'll save that for another post!

No comments: